Rift

Come chat with PB or just say HI!

Moderators: Yrys, Moderators

Turlus

Rift

Post by Turlus »

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

I'm mildly interested, would be even more so if some old EQ friends wanted to play with me.... :roll:
Jenarie

Post by Jenarie »

Hi Turlus!

Love coming to this board and seeing old names. Miss you guys. :)

I just got into Rift Beta so will see what it looks like starting tonight but unless it is incredibly great I'm more interested in the EQ1 Progression Server that I've heard will open in March. I was planning to buy Rift but now I'll most likely renew EQ sub just for the progression server and skip Rift altogehter. I also plan to play Star Wars when that comes out in a few months.
[75 Prelate] Jenarie (Dark Elf) <PrimalBrood> Test
Turlus

Post by Turlus »

Yeah me and toad are in the beta as well, so far it's good.
Tarsq

Post by Tarsq »

Hiyas,

Long time no see, probablly give this game a try.. looking at PVE server Wolfsbane, Defiant as Tarsq.. seems to be were most of the Aussie guilds are going.

Take Care

Tarsq
Last edited by Tarsq on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tarsq
75 Arch Animist
Toadloc

Post by Toadloc »

Me, turl & a few other RL friends started up a guild. we're playing Defiant on Stonecrest if anyone else becomes interested in the game. PM me here or look for Sorm ingame if you wanna team up with us.
Gorskaul

Post by Gorskaul »

Playing on hammerlord-defiant side, Gorskaul
--The "X" Sqaud--

Gorskaulx 70 Forest Stalker
Arianosx 70 Druid -bot-
Kluellessx 70 Cleric -bot-
Shamellessx 69 Shaman -bot-
Notyrk 68 Warrior -bot-
Rodric 63 Bard -bot-
Kryton 67 Necro -bot-
Tadenea

Post by Tadenea »

a Game I been recently playing (up to Level 5) is Dungeon Overlord
another game by Sony a facebook game
http://apps.facebook.com/dungeonoverlord/

if anyone joins it and needs invite to be a friend to receive free stuff let me know
Benzarden

Post by Benzarden »

Don't think I'm going to try out Rift, already have too much time invested into WoW to try a game that looks incredibly similar. But those of you with WoW experience, let me know how it compares.

Good seeing some of you guys' names.

Btw, Tad, do you still run the test server forums? If so, what is the link?

Benzarden - 80 Magician (retired)
Gorskaul

Post by Gorskaul »

Much older crowd in Rift compared to WoW and you don't have to worry about the horrible account security that blizzard has. The PVP in Rift is fun the Warfronts are similar to battlefronts but more meaningful and more rewarding. I'm currently level 25 and I havent run out of stuff to do yet.
--The "X" Sqaud--

Arianosx 70 Druid -bot-
Notyrk 68 Warrior -bot-
Rodric 63 Bard -bot-
Kryton 67 Necro -bot-
Toadloc

Post by Toadloc »

the lady & i just hit 50 today & did our first Expert run. they're no joke rofl. We wiped so much.

Great time tho. stuff to do never ends.
Toadloc the Frog! - retired
Toadloc

Post by Toadloc »

Also, benz. i wouldn't even compare it to wow.. I mean i guess it has some similarities.. but overall it's a fantastic game. if there weren't so many Wow fanboys I think it'd honestly be the wow-killer.

The class/talent system is great, graphics are beautiful & overall gameplay is phenomenal. I'd recommend it to anyone in a second.
Toadloc the Frog! - retired
Benzarden

Post by Benzarden »

It's tempting because I have heard nothing but really good things. The graphics, UI, Talent sytem just look very very similar to WoW to me.

I don't PvP so that aspect doesn't appeal to me much.

But my one big issue with WoW's direction in the past few years has been it's homogenization of classes to appease the masses. I don't like the fact that all healers basically do the same thing now. Most if not all dps bring some sort of CC to the table. The plate tanks all have very similar cooldowns but have different names. Blizzard's 'bring the player, not the class' moto sounds great, but it makes for a game that lacks creativity and differentiation. In my opinion you should bring the best player, but bring the best player at each class you need to get the right comp.

For instance in Football, you can have a Wide Receiver that is fast and can score TDs and a Running Back that is fast and can score touchdowns. Maybe the Wide Receiver is a better overall player, and you have a couple of good Wide Receivers, but that doesn't mean you should replace your Running Back with a Wide Receiver.

I'm curious as to whether or not Rift has a unique feel to its classes. If I'm going to make a switch I want a game where different classes bring its own unique abilities to the group/raid. I'm kind of skeptical about Rift's 4 classes with 9 different specs. I would rather see 9 classes with 4 different specs. But maybe it works well. Can you guys give me some more insight on how the classes mesh and if they feel unique?

Benzarden - 80 Magician (retired)
Gorskaul

Post by Gorskaul »

The class system to me is really unique, only two other games I've said that about, Horizons and SWG before they ruined it. Playing a warrior with Paragon/Riftblade/Paladin specs. I'm focusing more on the paladin spec for soloing purposes (HP/AC shield use) But I can equip a second weapon and the paragon spec allows me to dual wield for more dps and the riftblade spec gives me some pretty cool range spells. For the most part there really isnt a cookie cutter class with gear being the only separation between them. I've never really cared for pvp myself either but decided to give it a try cause its so rewarding in Rift and I was surprised to find it enjoyable for about 2/3 the times you join a warfront. It gets annoying when you come across premade groups that farm them so it's usualy one ass smacking and I go back to my normaly non-pvp routine.
--The "X" Sqaud--

Arianosx 70 Druid -bot-
Notyrk 68 Warrior -bot-
Rodric 63 Bard -bot-
Kryton 67 Necro -bot-
Turlus

Post by Turlus »

The games really good, it's got alot of similar things from wow, but wow had alot of similar things from EQ... meh if it works, why try to fix it.

Ok first, Callings = basically what kind of armor/weapons you'll be using

Souls = your class

There's 4 callings, with 9 unique souls to each calling.

In addition to that, you get 4 specs. which is basically saved combinations of 3 different souls.

Still with me?

In wow terms - Imagine being a warlock with access to mage and priest talent pools in addition to your own, and instead of dual spec, it's quad spec.

Each one of the classes is without a doubt it's own class, feel playstyle etc etc. Now that being said...there is some similar skills between the different classes, even across the different callings. These are mostly skills that help you fill your role in a party, many of the melee classes get a charge, several rogue classes get stealth skills, healers get heals, but you definately bring some unique to your soul only abilities.

In summary - Basically there's 36 different pure classes but the combinations make for literally 100's of them
Gorskaul

Post by Gorskaul »

RIFT is holding a special Allies of the Ascended event. As my chosen ally, you can use this code to join me during the dates below, free of charge! Heed my call, and together we shall battle the Blood Storm!

Event Dates
10am PDT April 1, 2011 through 10am PDT April 4, 2011

Ally Code

F2KM-FCZE-XCNC-MD33-DHKK
Visit www.RIFTgame.com/en/ally for instructions on how to apply your Ally Code.

For anyone that may wish to give it a try this weekend, if your in the southern MN or Northern Iowa area send me a message and I could borrow you a disc so your download isnt as bad.
--The "X" Sqaud--

Arianosx 70 Druid -bot-
Notyrk 68 Warrior -bot-
Rodric 63 Bard -bot-
Kryton 67 Necro -bot-