About the server changes

Come chat with PB or just say HI!

Moderators: Yrys, Moderators

Himself

Post by Himself »

How could it hurt them? There have been so many posts over the years by live players who have stated that test is useless as a server. Some have said later on after /testcopy was added that they would be testing things here if only they could have their platinum come with. Both statements seem a bit disingenuous.

One aspect of this, and one that you could probably argue I really don't have a right to comment on since I've been away from it such a long time, is that the test community, or what's left of it, will most likely fracture. There will be some people who say to transfer to Firiona Vie for easier item acquisition, and people against that idea because if it doesn't work out, they don't want to be trapped on it. There could easily be someone or a group of people wanting to go to specific live servers, either because that's where they copied over from, friends are on it, or to be away from where they'd guess everyone else on test is transferring to. I am pretty sure that there is a very small percentage of people, or perhaps even zero, that want to transfer to Zek. After the transfer is done, there is a chance that a group might /testcopy back to test to try and continue playing here, either "legitimately" or with multiple copies of their currencies and tradeskill items.

But I don't see this server remaining anything like it is now. There would most likely be even more bored players copying over and behaving like idiots. I'm not saying that never happened before, but I think it'll be far worse after these changes due to the fact that it seems SoE is stating that test is not a normal server anymore. Test would need an increased or active GM presence at the minimum. I'd guess that the vast majority of live players who want to actually test something here, really only want to do parsing. The players wouldn't want to waste their time testing an event on a server that doesn't get their real character anything of value. This aspect could be covered under the "rewards for testing" statement, but since nothing was really specified, it's all pure conjecture on what they could do to encourage it. I'd say that it's possible that SoE could remove raid and task lockouts or keys being needed to allow continuous testing of an event due to their shift to a "strongly focused on specific testing" server. Or they could push things further and actually wipe the server at some point (Which they are free to do), to allow for the vague "specific testing" of something.

Hopefully, they'll be nice if someone comes back to the server after leaving years ago and after this period of transfers ends, and gives them the same offer to leave that the players have now. But that would probably take too much effort.

I'd love to have an optimistic view on these changes, but no matter how I look at them, I really can't seem to find one.
kizant

Post by kizant »

Regardless of what Test server ends up being there's no reason not to play it safe and transfer to a live server and testcopy back. It might end up being terrible here after whatever changes?
Jenarie

Post by Jenarie »

Is there a PB server to transfer to chosen?

I don't know if I will ever play Jen again but if I do I want to make sure she's where you guys are.
[75 Prelate] Jenarie (Dark Elf) <PrimalBrood> Test
Toadloc

Post by Toadloc »

I would also like to know about a target server transfer if there is one.

Please let us know if this is decided.

Also, are server transfers allowed on live servers? At a price of course, i'd assume.
Toadloc the Frog! - retired
Yrys

Post by Yrys »

On live -- server transfers are allowed and cost $ except for transfers to FV and the PVP server, I think. Those are free -- they're trying to get more people on them due to low pop. Transfers to the progression servers and maybe a couple others(?) aren't allowed.

I think I'll probably move Yrys to FV (yeah, despite not playing in 5 years :P)... know a few other Test Server players who play there sporadically. And copy back to Test after they turn on /testcopy, of course.
Anciente

Post by Anciente »

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that this is not going to have all that much effect on test server in the long run, other than demolishing the economy. We all have the same opportunities to duplicate plat and items that everyone else does so in the end it will be a wash - just no more worrying about plat or ts items any more.

Yes, I think we'll get a spate of people testcopying over, but in the end a few of them will stay and the rest will get bored with it and go back to their regular servers and we'll be back to where we've always been - still likely the lowest day to day population of any server.

So at this point I'm planning to transfer everybody on all 3 of my accounts to FV, abuse the hell out of testcopy and resume playing here.

More on abusing the system in another thread.
Turlus

Post by Turlus »

kizant wrote:Regardless of what Test server ends up being there's no reason not to play it safe and transfer to a live server and testcopy back. It might end up being terrible here after whatever changes?
^ That
Anciente

Post by Anciente »

Turlus wrote:
kizant wrote:Regardless of what Test server ends up being there's no reason not to play it safe and transfer to a live server and testcopy back. It might end up being terrible here after whatever changes?
^ That
Well, you're right - it's a gamble. The only gamble being whether to go to FV or some other server. No matter what server people go to they can still freely duplicate anything that's tradeable when they testcopy back, including plat and TS items. FV just expands that a lot. It's not just buying stuff there, pretty much everything we're currently wearing becomes tradeable once we hit that server, and if it's tradeable it can be shared and duplicated.

I honestly expect that test will be chaos for a month or so after the new testcopy is implemented. I just think it will settle back down eventually. I haven't firmly decided yet, but I'm probably going to take that gamble. So maybe I'll be stuck playing on FV, or back on test with not much but echoes for company but I just don't think it's going to work out that way.
Toadloc

Post by Toadloc »

My only worry (even tho i'm not sure if i'll ever play again) is the fact that i haven't bought any of the expansions since DoN.. So i'd probly lose a good portion of my gear & quite a few levels..

Obviously i'd want to get my hands on the transfering while it's available & just /testcopy all my chars back.

I think the original post said something about items/levels being restored after the exansions were purchased? If that's true, would /testcoping back work the same way?
Anciente

Post by Anciente »

Toadloc wrote:My only worry (even tho i'm not sure if i'll ever play again) is the fact that i haven't bought any of the expansions since DoN.. So i'd probly lose a good portion of my gear & quite a few levels..

Obviously i'd want to get my hands on the transfering while it's available & just /testcopy all my chars back.

I think the original post said something about items/levels being restored after the exansions were purchased? If that's true, would /testcoping back work the same way?
I asked that exact question on the thread on the Sony boards but have not received a reply as yet.
gleenwood

Post by gleenwood »

ugh... I don't really get whats going on, but doesn't sound good. If anyone is bored, summarize it for me. I read on EQ forums and here...

/wave Anciente, nice playing with you on TLP.

Hey Brutul, how's the ole Montana going? I was up there a few weeks ago, love that place.
Turlus

Post by Turlus »

Devs going to allow transfers off of test starting 06/15/11 till 07/15/11.

Then on 07/16/11 or so they going to disable transfers off test, and then turn on testcopy.

From that point on, it's just conjecture, the server may be wiped, ruleset changed from pve to pvp to rp, "rewards for testing" given, probably alot of stuff put in from the beta server, etc.
Anciente

Post by Anciente »

gleenwood wrote:ugh... I don't really get whats going on, but doesn't sound good. If anyone is bored, summarize it for me. I read on EQ forums and here...

/wave Anciente, nice playing with you on TLP.

Hey Brutul, how's the ole Montana going? I was up there a few weeks ago, love that place.
In addition to what Turlus said, testcopy will now be unrestricted in that you copy with all your plat and gear.

Gleen if you're still playing on TLP you can have all my stuff. I guess it kind of brought me back to the game, but I just didn't like it that much. Let me know a good time.
Toadloc

Post by Toadloc »

Either way, guys... I think a decided target server would be the best option at this point & just moving to there..

No matter how this ends i think that test as we know it will be no more. Even if you transfer & copy back, eventually they'll probly want to wipe test and start fresh again.. From what i'm getting out of this, i think that's what their overall objective is (to be able to freely wipe the server of characters)

I mean.. the choice is up to everyone... but that's just my 2cp
Trellium

Post by Trellium »

Helloooo everyone!

Long, long time no hear. Glad to see so many names that I still remember. Sanadila says Hi as well. :) We are sorta playing on EQ2 mostly, but only because of the recent free play time. Thought I would check out EQ as well while it is active, only to see the post about the Test Server changes.

We definitely want to move our characters to a Live server, just so they are safe in case we come back. If we don't do that, we assume there might be a test server wipe or reset which will kill off our characters. Better to have them copiable again to Test if needed.

We also like the FV idea, just because if exploitation is the name of the game, we want to game the game at full strength! That could turn out to be fun. Or, annoying. But we won't know unless we try.

If Test becomes unplayable (long term, or just that Sony decides not to always activate it immediately after PVP/PVE switches), we would have an alternative.

And any gains made on Test server with copied characters could be reset down the road, meaning that re-copying to Test would reset the characters to their Live equivalent again.

On EQ2 we also have our little guild (membership ... 2). They also have a TestCopy server that functions a lot like their new concept for test here, with free copies of equipped characters. The end result is people are STILL whining that they want access to the normal test server (no transfers permitted), because TestCopy has so few players. I expect that is what Test server here will look like.

If players want to test where the population is, then the population has value. On TestCopy people have to bring their own friends. That's the only way to play anything in a group; it's BYOC! (Bring your own community). Failing that, there aren't people there to hook up with, people get irritated that it takes so long to "test" what they want to test, and they don't come back.

We will probably log in Wednesday to do server copies, will follow this thread as well to see what is decided. Most likely we would do the same as PB, just in case we come back. Unless the choice is to PVP. I already dodge the frying pan enough in real life, no point in adding in-game pain to that. :p

I hope everyone is well, and that you all find a way to get through this.

Best wishes from both of us :)